Medical marijuana provides relief for various medical conditions. Although medical marijuana has come a long way in legalization, there are specific rules and regulations that users need to adhere to which include age limitations. If you are a teenager and wondering whether you can obtain a medical marijuana card to help you purchase medical marijuana, this article is for you. Read on to find out the minimum age for medical marijuana use in different states as well as how you can acquire a medical marijuana card to help you purchase your medical marijuana products from dispensaries.
Get medical marijuana legally from dispensaries. Click the button below to get your medical marijuana card.
How Old Do You Need to Be to Get a Medical Marijuana Card?
In states where medical marijuana is legal, you must be at least 18 years to legally use and possess medical marijuana following a doctor’s recommendation. Minors can also use medical marijuana provided they do so under the supervision of an adult. Although possession and use fall at 18 years, this is not necessarily the overall age requirement for obtaining a medical marijuana card.
Since most minors cannot acquire a medical marijuana card on their own, caregivers take the responsibility of acquiring a medical marijuana card and helping them purchase their medical marijuana products.
Age Requirements to Qualify for a Medical Marijuana Card by State
To have a better understanding of the minimum age limit to obtain a medical marijuana card, here is a list of 10 states with their respective age requirements with regards to obtaining a medical marijuana card.
- Pennsylvania: The minimum age for getting a medical marijuana card as well as being a caregiver to a minor is 18 years.
- New York State: The age requirement for a medical marijuana card in New York State is 18 years while caregivers should be 21 years and above. Caregivers should have a medical marijuana card on behalf of the minor to be able to purchase medical marijuana.
- Rhode Island: You must be 21 years to obtain an MMJ card. Any individual of age 21 and above can be a caregiver to 5 medical marijuana patients.
- California: You have to be at least 18 years of age to receive a medical marijuana card either for your personal use or for a minor under your care.
Get treatment for viral diseases in California. Click the button below to get your medical marijuana card.
- Oklahoma: You must be 18 years of age to obtain an MMJ card in Oklahoma. Minors can access medical marijuana with the help of caregivers.
- Maine: The minimum age requirement for an MMJ card in Maine is 18 years. However, individuals aged 21 and above can act as caregivers to minors.
- Missouri. You should be at least 18 years to apply for a medical marijuana card while caregivers should be 21 years and above.
- Illinois: The minimum age requirement for an MMJ card is 18 years while that of a caregiver is 21 years.
- Washington: You should be 18 years and above to apply for an MMJ card. If you are under 18 years, you should have a caregiver aged 21 years or above who will be issued with two medical marijuana licenses; one for the caregiver and one for you. An adult can only register as a caregiver to one minor.
- Florida: The minimum age requirement for obtaining an MMJ card and registering as a caregiver to a minor is 18 years. Patients under the age of 18 require the approval of a second physician before acquiring a valid medical marijuana card.
How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card?
If you have a qualifying medical condition and meet the age requirements for a medical marijuana card, you can proceed to apply for a medical marijuana card. You can decide to do it physically by visiting a medical marijuana doctor or do it conveniently online.
While every state may have different requirements, below are common conditions you must fulfill to get a medical marijuana card
- Have a qualifying health condition that warrants the use of medical marijuana.
- Provide proof of residence such as a driver’s license to show that you reside in the state where you are applying for a medical marijuana card.
- Get a doctor to sign your medical marijuana form.
Do you qualify for medical marijuana in NY? Click the button below to get your medical marijuana card.
Apply for Your Medical Marijuana Card Online at MDBerry!
MDBerry offers you a convenient and fast way of obtaining a medical marijuana card. You only have to fill up your online application and then chat with one of our medical marijuana doctors online to discuss the important details of your application. Upon approval, your soft copy MMJ card will be immediately available for download while the hardcopy certification will be sent to you a week after your registration.